We’ve started the bathroom renovation at last!
Remember last October when I posted my vision for our beautiful new bathroom? Well, if you’re a regular reader you know that the bathroom renovation hasn’t quite happened yet. There was the saga with the beams being too thin to support a bath full of water, and some plumbing problems, so we ended up keeping the home office where it was (rather than turning it into a bathroom) and had to sort that out first. Not that we’ve finished it of course, because then we had to do the bedroom…and then we got a bit busy getting married and whatnot!
But the excuses have run out, and I got fed up of having an entire bathroom suite stashed in unlikely places around my house (sink in the dining room, bath in the guestroom, toilet in the office), so the weekend before last we finally got cracking on the bathroom.
Here’s what we started with. Dated, really odd layout (who builds a special wall to put the shower right in the middle of the room?!), and carpet. And always freezing even with the radiators on full. We installed a heated towel rail shortly after we moved in (a wonderful Valentine’s Day activity) and had a new double-glazed window installed, but other than that, we’ve not touched it until now. Yes, I know the bath kind of looks alright, but that’s only because I threw a million candles at it!
So we started by taking down the planked ceiling (because there was another ceiling above it). We intended to remove the ceiling above and expose the beams in the roof, but to do so would have been a huge amount of work and meant losing a foot of width in the already very long and narrow room, so instead we just boarded it properly.
Then we ripped out the bath, along with the false walls behind and at the end of it (no idea why but they had lost a foot either side, perhaps so the bath ‘fitted’ perfectly?) and the strange alcoves in the walls. There were so many different types of wallpaper and colours of paint behind there, this room has obviously had many incarnations – it must once have been a bedroom.
Ste unplumbed the sink and loo, and those came out. We left the shower in situ as long as we could, because all of this was seriously filthy work and we needed to wash at the end of each day! Meanwhile I ripped out all the old tiles (and with them came most of the old black lime plaster) and stripped the wallpaper.
Despite lots of trips to the tip our lovely newly revamped terrace still looks a bit like a scrapyard!
We thought we were ready for the plasterers to board, since they had inspected at the start of the week and said we could leave a lot of the old plaster on as it was fine. But when we took the shower out it removed most of that so we had to rip everything back to bare stone. I didn’t make it to bootcamp the following day because after three hours with a hammer breaking the old plaster off I could barely lift my arms.
So the plasterers came and made it all look lovely again and we were excited to pull up the floorboards and get on with the plumbing. But there was a nasty surprise under the floorboards!
And like the best soap operas, I’m going to leave the bathroom renovation saga on a cliffhanger! If you follow me on Instagram you’ll already know what happened next, but I’m not ready to tell you about it until I am sure we’ve fixed it.